Monday, July 18, 2011

Urban Standard

Saturday was date night! Me and Nick went with Steph and Devin to watch our friend Jon David Wise play the violin with some local musicians at Urban Standard. I've been to Urban Standard before but it was just a quick stop in to grab a drink after the loft tour in Birmingham. I'm just super glad that we didn't go eat somewhere before stopping in.

Their entire menu looked great. I did what I usually do and look at every plate that passed by. I would have loved to try a little of everything. I'll just come back to eat. I am on weight watchers so I had to be smart with my selection but to tell you the truth, everything that went by looked to be a sensible portion of a variety of fresh vegetables and lean meats. I love hummus so I chose the hummus, pita, olives, cucumber and salad plate. I didn't eat all of the pita and shared with my honey.

Steph decided to try the grilled cheese. Their grilled cheese had a side of jelly - I believe it was grape jelly or was it balsamic jelly. I'm not 100% sure but I tried it. I tried a couple of bites of the the sandwich dipped in the jelly. Mmmm can't get over that salty sweet taste. It was delicious.
And as always, Nick ordered my favorite meal. Their steak was cooked perfectly - tender and perfectly medium rare. I can't wait to go back and order it again. It was served with roasted eggplant, squash, tomatoes and fingerling potatoes. Very simply served and you could taste the great roasted veggies. He cleaned up his plate.
Devin ordered the chicken salad over their spring salad mix with strawberries and blueberries. Delicious chicken chunks with just enough mayonnaise. They give you a lot of salad and chicken salad so be prepared if you order it.

We are going back for dinner very soon. Our first dinner experience was excellent. Great company, great music and delicious food. Our night was perfect.

Next time we are ordering the grilled tofu and the lamb. See you soon at Urban!

No comments:

Post a Comment