Friday, December 31, 2010

Huo Guo-A Christmas Tradition





I have always loved Chinese food even before I meet my wife Jen, but after we got married is when I really began to appreciate authentic Chinese food thanks to my mother-law Nancy.

Most Americans don't even realize that the food served in the majority of Chinese restaurants has been Americanized for the palates of the average American.

Back in the mid 1800's when the Chinese came over as labor in the mines and railroad, some Chinese would set up restaurants in their laundry rooms at the head of the railroads. Originally they set up the restaurants to feed the Chinese railroad workers with home cooked food like they would eat back in China but as more immigrants began working for the railroad the cooks began adapting the food to the palates of the non-Chinese. And so began the dishes like Chicken Chow Mien, Mongolian Beef and General Tso's Chicken.

Over the years, I have experienced more depth of flavor in traditional Chinese cuisine than any other style of food. Mainly because I have a mother in-law that has cooked some of the most incredible food I have ever eaten. One of the dishes, I was introduced to years ago is Huo Guo or hot pot. This is one of the most social dishes I have every had and it is a blast to eat with friends and family.





The dish starts with a portable propane burner and a pot of fresh chicken stock. Meats of beef, chicken and pork are thinly sliced and put on a plate. Then seafood like shrimp, squid, fish and fish meatballs are put on separate plates. Then veggies like spinach, cabbage, mushrooms, and bean sprouts along with some thin rice noodles and tofu are also put on separate plates and then all are placed on the table with the burner being the centerpiece. A sauce is made with sa cha sauce which is labeled as a Chinese BBQ sauce, but it's much different than what I consider BBQ sauce. The sa cha sauce is mixed soy sauce and poured into the bottom of everyones bowl then the cooking begins. Usually a raw egg is scrambled and added into the sauce but my mother-in-law leaves that out when kids are eating. The pot has a divider to help keep the meats and seafood separate. A few pieces of meat and seafood are put into the pot and since the meats are thinly sliced, it takes only a few minutes for them to cook. After the meats and seafood are cooked, you can then cook the veggies, tofu and noodles. While everything is cooking, everyone is talking and enjoying the conversation and as the food is done, everyone grabs what they want. The best part of the dinner is the social time during cooking and eating. We have introduced this dish to friends and family and they not only loved the social aspect but it also opened their palates to something most people never get a chance to experience.




So several years ago, we decided to make Hot Pot a family tradition every Christmas. Needless to say for me and my foodie family, it is the most anticipated dinner of the year. Every year I stuff myself with so much food that I am usually miserable when the kids are opening presents, but man is it worth it.










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Hoover,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment